The Berkshire Public Health Alliance, a regional collaborative of 24 municipalities, and its fiscal host, Berkshire Regional Planning Commission, seek a full-time, benefited Inspector to coordinate the Alliance Food Safety Program. The Food Program Coordinator, with assistance from the Senior Inspector, several part-time back-up inspectors and an Alliance Administrative Coordinator will organize and manage the Alliance Food Safety Program and provide health agent and inspectional services to contracted municipalities, including six small towns that receive all or most inspectional services from the Alliance and several more that receive occasional services. This is an off-site, benefited position, with flexible hours.
Duties may include:
- Conducting public health and environmental inspections under the auspices of the local boards of health.
- Ensuring that environmental health inspections, particularly those associated with food safety, are conducted as per Alliance policies and standard operating guides.
- Working with the Senior Alliance Inspector and Alliance Coordinator to identify, write and manage grants including FDA/NEHA grants.
- Working with other Alliance and BRPC staff to write and manage grants associated with environmental and food safety.
- Promoting the FDA Voluntary Retail Program Standards and their adoption by Alliance communities.
- Reviewing plans, applications, etc., enforcing relevant regulations and associated reporting and follow-up.
- Assisting with outbreak investigations and other emergency events.
- Attending Board of Health meetings, as needed, and answer questions from municipal officials via email or phone.
- Developing standard operating guidelines, policies and procedures, model regulations, particularly those designed to improve food safety, address Board of Health needs, and meet FDA Program Standards.
- Assisting with special projects, specifically FDA Food Protection grants and on-line permitting.
- Assisting with municipal outreach and education.
- Attending Alliance Director Committee (ADC) and Alliance Governing Board meetings, as necessary.
- Assisting with the development of new projects.
- Ability to conduct inspections in food protection and other local public health areas.
- Driver’s license, with a reliable car and ability to drive at night and under various weather conditions.
- Home office, with reliable Internet service (laptop and printer will be provided.
- Smart phone with reliable service.
- Ability to attend evening meetings, in-person or virtually, as needed and occasional weekend hours. Candidate must be willing to comply with all BRPC COVID-19 requirements.
- Must be comfortable answering to multiple boards, changing conditions and a hectic schedule.
- Must be able to prioritize and adjust quickly as conditions change. Ability to work independently and take initiative as needed.
- Willingness to attend training and attain certifications, as needed.
- Strong computer skills. Experience with the Microsoft suite of programs required; experience with Permit Eyes permitting/inspection software a plus.
- Certified FDA Standardized Inspector
- Registered Sanitarian (RS) or Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) or ability to be qualified within two years of hire.
- Certifications such as System Inspector, Soil Evaluator, ServSafe (or similar), Certified Pool Operator, MA PHIT Housing Inspector, and others.
- Familiarity with MA Public Health and Environmental Protection laws and regulations.
We will train the right person and help you get certifications as needed.
Hours: The Berkshire Regional Planning Commission (BRPC) is the fiscal agent for the Alliance. The BRPC is a public agency. This position would be an employee of the BRPC and would be required to adhere to the personnel policies of BRPC. 35-40 hours per week. This is an off-site position, flexible on days and times.
Compensation: $31.37 – 38.09 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Benefits: include health insurance, dental insurance, short and long-term disability, vision, life insurance and generous holiday and vacation time. Mileage and cellphone reimbursement. Possible relocation assistance.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Alliance Inspector Position in the subject line.
No phone calls or in-person visits please!
Job open until filled.