Municipal light plants (MLPs) are electricity and/or natural gas providers that are owned, maintained, and operated by the municipality. Forty-one (41) communities in Massachusetts are served by MLPs. MLP customers are eligible for the set of energy efficiency programs provided by their MLP or associated partner programs through Energy New England (ENE) or Massachusetts Municipal Wholesale Electric Company (MMWEC).
* Note: MLP electric customers who receive natural gas from Berkshire Gas, Blackstone Gas Company, Columbia Gas, Eversource, Liberty Utilities, National Grid, or Unitil are eligible for a no-cost home energy assessment through Mass Save, and may qualify for Mass Save weatherization incentives, heating/hot water equipment rebates, or zero percent financing for qualifying energy efficiency improvements through the HEAT Loan program or the Expanded Heat Loan Program. Note that, for these customers, the HEAT loan is not available for central air conditioning, heat pumps, or heat pump water heaters.
There are currently no MLPs in Berkshire County.
Energy New England (ENE) Home Energy Assessment
- Customers of MLPs partnered with ENE are eligible for a free home energy assessment to identify heating, lighting and weatherization opportunities that can save money on electric and heating bills. Following the visit, customers will receive a Home Energy Assessment report that identifies potential improvements and your MLP’s rebates and incentives. The ENE website also hosts information on a number of other energy efficiency and clean energy opportunities available to its MLP customers.
- To get started, review the list of MLPs served by ENE. If your MLP is listed, complete an online intake form or call 888-772-4242 to schedule an appointment.
Massachusetts Municipal Wholesale Electric Company (MMWEC) HELPS:
- Customers of MLPs partnered with MMWEC are eligible for the Home Energy Loss Prevention Services (HELPS) program. This program provides a free home energy assessment to identify heating, lighting and weatherization opportunities that can save money on electric and heating bills, as well as assistance with home energy improvements and ENERGY STAR appliance rebates. The HELPs website also hosts information on a number of other energy efficiency and clean energy opportunities available to MMWEC customers.
- To get started, review the list of MLPs served by MMWEC. If your MLP is listed, call 888-333-7525 to schedule an appointment